Monday, December 3, 2012

Thing 18 - Facebook and Twitter

Here's a link to my Facebook account. I don't have a Twitter account, but there are a few people I "follow" without actually going through the process of actually signing up. Considering I'm pretty sure I'd never 'tweet' I don't really see the point. Anyway, both of these sites are good at what they do. Twitter is an excellent application for quickly spreading information to vast amounts of people, and some people and corporations may keep tabs on the site to see what is "trending." Facebook is great at creating a platform for friends to interact with one another, and it allows for a greater potential to allow people to share in one's life if one chooses to put that information out there for consumption. I enjoy and use both sites but for different reasons.

I'm uncertain of the role these networks have for educators. Perhaps schools could have pages on Facebook for students to 'like' or join, but it would be unwise at best to add any students as friends to a personal Facebook account or to follow them on Twitter. A teacher could perhaps have a Twitter page devoted to posting information from the classroom like homework assignment and test reminders, but it seems there are better alternatives out there that we've explored previously to send those messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment