Saturday, November 10, 2012

Thing 17 - Social Bookmarking

Before this assignment, I had never heard of the concept of "social bookmarking." After watching the tutorial videos provided, and spending some time exploring the websites I feel I have a better grasp of what social bookmarking websites, and Delicious in particular have to offer. As a prospective teacher, I feel that Delicious has something to offer me in staying organized. One of the tutorial videos mentioned how a browser's bookmark tab can get crowded and unorganized in a hurry. One of the nice things about Delicious is that one can tag websites in order to fit them into a specific category. This way a user can sort his favorite websites by category so that it is easier to find and use them in the future. I'm uncertain of how social bookmarking can be helpful in the classroom, but I can see it's use when preparing and organizing future lessons. Given that I wish to be a math teacher, I could tag certain sites based on the content and lessons they have to offer. If there is a website I feel is really strong on quadratic equations I could use the tags algebra, quadratic equations, etc. in order to group that site with similar sites in the future. This is certainly a tool I can see finding its way into my tool bag in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment