Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thing 16 - Organizing with Web 2.0

There are a lot of different organizational tools available on the Internet. The first one I explored was the iGoogle homepage. I wasn't aware of iGoogle's existence until this assignment so it was surprising to see that Google will be removing it on November 1, 2013. Goes to show how fast the Internet is evolving - in five years its replacement will probably be rendered irrelevant as well. Anyway, iGoogle was easy to use. I found a couple interesting gadgets to add to the original template that would theoretically reduce my time surfing the Web for news. However, I'll probably keep my old homepage because as I stated before, I kind of enjoying each site individually to see what is new. I suppose it's just my resistance to change.

Online calendars and to-do lists have a lot of potential for people who need to stay organized and have mobile access. Since these applications are online they can be accessed from a variety of different points. While I don't use an online calendar or to-do list at the moment, it would certainly increase my organizational skills, which at this point is limited to things I do and don't remember. Thankfully I remember most things which has decreased my incentive to use either online or traditional calendars. In the future when more and more things are on my plate, I will probably have no choice but to change how I organize.

One of the tools I found from the list was the PDFConverter website. One of the benefits of converting a file to a PDF is that those who open the file do not need to have Microsoft Word, or any other word processor in order to open and read the document. This could be helpful when I put my syllabus or letter to the parents on my website so that it can be easily accessed by both parents and students whenever there is a question about classroom expectations, grading policies, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment