Monday, December 10, 2012

Thing 23 - Creative Commons

According to the APSU 23 Things page...

Note: This project is loosely based upon the website 43Things (which allows you to set and track personal goals) and the Stephen Abram article titled 43 Things I (or You) might want to do this year (Information Outlook - Feb 2006). 

After reading more about Creative Commons, I have a greater understanding about online intellectual property and copyrights. Creative Commons gives anyone the ability to search for materials that have various copyright protections. Some materials may allow for alteration from the original product, while others may have stricter guidelines on how that material may be used. Even if a user allows for modifications and alterations it is still essential to give credit to the source. In the future I can use Creative Commons to safely search for appropriate material to use in my classroom. For example I can enhance a PowerPoint presentation with an image that has a copyright permitting use for non-commercial means as long as I give credit to the creator of the image. Even with this resource available I will still need to be careful as different materials may have different copyright protections. It will be imperative that I familiarize myself with them before I use those materials in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment