Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Thing 7 - Flickr

As I was looking for photos on Flickr, my goal was to find a photo that reminded me of something in my life.  After a few minutes of staring blankly at the computer screen, I finally had the idea to look up a couple of the places I used to live as a child. I looked up "Ashland, Ohio", and found a picture of an Amish child with her back turned. Finally, I had an idea! From there I looked up more Amish photos until I found my favorite that I could share. I chose this photo because I figured it would be unique among the postings of my fellow classmates, and because I find Amish culture to be interesting. Ashland, Ohio is on the fringes of what people may refer to as "Amish Country", and I still remember seeing the horses and buggies, the animal driven plows, and the horse poop in the parking lots at the Aldi in town. This photo in particular shows how careful one needs to be when driving down the back roads of northeastern Ohio.

(credit for this photo goes to MidwestFarmland from Flickr)

I'm not sure if I'll use Flickr much again after this exercise. I don't see how it can be applied in a mathematics class, and honestly I don't take a lot of pictures so there isn't much use of opening up a Flickr account. It was a neat website to explore for a few minutes though.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, I think the picture you choose to use was nice. I have been to Ashland, Ohio a few times and I find the Amish community very interesting. When I had created my blog on Flickr I was having issues finding pictures I like with mathematics, I also wish to be a math teacher, so I created an account and saw how great it is to share pictures with family members that live in other states. Other than that one reason, I agree that there is no other reason I will use Flickr, especially in my math class.

    ReplyDelete