Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Thing 10 - RSS Feeds

RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication, and with this first glance I've had with the concept and Google Reader it seem as if the acronym is true. The obvious thing I noticed was that Google Reader organized the blogs and websites that I had subscribed to by order in which an article was posted. This is obviously convenient for a person who may check several sites a day multiple times a day. I admit though to enjoying the searching of each site individually. Logically it may make little sense to knowingly use potentially valuable time in a scavenger hunt when I could easily just go to my newsreader and find any new information there, but I see the hunt as part of my routine so I may be reluctant to switch over.

I'm not certain how I could potentially use this for school or in a classroom setting. If I found some relevant education blogs that I found interesting I could subscribe to them and hopefully not fall into a routine of wanting to check them manually every day. I'm not sure how teachers could use RSS feeds or similar technology in the classroom unless the feeds were subscribed to websites or blogs that had some sort of interactive component that could in turn be used in a classroom lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment