Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Thing 13 - Web-based Applications

The Zoho Writer application was fairly easy to use due to the fact that the layout of the toolbar seemed similar to that of Microsoft Word. I found it to be very convenient that it is possible to export a document created through Zoho as a Microsoft Word or Open Office document, or even a PDF if one so desired to do so.  I've had some previous experience exploring Google Drive, but I have never used it to create an actual document or project. Browsing around the different features offered in Google Drive, I noticed that it also contains that same ability to export a document as a different type of file. I created a spreadsheet in Google Drive that shows how the number 'e' can be computed by both summation and by its limit definition. The summation result is to the left, and the limit result is in the center, while I have the actual value of 'e' towards the right side of the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet can be found here

After messing around with each for a few minutes I determined that I preferred the Zoho applications more than the Google Drive ones, which honestly surprised me. I felt that Zoho had a cleaner presentation than Google did, which made it a little easier to find how to perform different tasks both the word processing and spreadsheet applications.

Students can have the ability to work collaboratively with Google Drive through the ability to easily share documents. If students are working on a group project, the document can be set up to be able to be edited by all members of the group so that everyone has equal access to participate in creating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment